Sunday, January 13, 2013

Experience

thappiness ♥'s Tumblr
 
 
& I think of that day,
The day that I met you,
How we stayed up for over 24 hours,
Passions petulantly tumbling madly
from the silken curtains of our lips,
The way a summer breeze would flow through
a window,
& I think of the adrenaline of night,
The cold chill of November 2nd,
Breath falling and puffing from our
lungs as thick, white smoke,
& the thick, white smoke of
the cigarettes we sucked into
our brains, like words, words
upon words upon words,
I have always loved words, but - I
do not think you ever knew that,
That is what made me fall in love with you
was your incredible ability to string up words
and turn them on in my mind the way
one hangs lights during the holidays,
You - you and your beautiful words...
They nearly tore me apart for good...
I remember that following morning
after you asked me to "be your girl"
and I smiled and nodded, said "sure"
and we laughed and laughed and talked
more, inhaling and exhaling lives
and stories of past lovers, failures, fears
and hopes...too bad I didn't realize until
it was too late that you didn't really hold much
hope inside of your soul
Only those empty words that you would
use to bewitch a vagabond poet like me...
We laid in the grass that morning, soft, cool
grass beneath the trees in the park, watching
that one strange, old squirrel with it's silvery
tail,
You laughed and said it had thrown a nut
at your head once,
Looking back, it should have thrown more,
You slept for a while, entangled in the web of my
limbs,
Sleeping soundly, as if you had not a care
in the world,
& I remember thinking to myself "I hope
this is the "one",
I hope he becomes my Prince Charming,
But you never did,
Merely reminded me at every turn how I
was Cinderella,
Just a beautiful person who belonged
in the ashes at night, cleaning, scrubbing,
and cooking,
Laundry and having babies was all I was going
to be good for to you,
& working full time,
Thanks for putting me in debt...
But I guess you were a lesson that had to be
learned somehow, some way,
I definitely learned you,
Learned how it feels to be devalued,
demeaned,
disillusioned,
and disappointed,
I also learned how words, on the tongues
of the empty, are just the same -
empty... 

No comments:

Post a Comment